As the temperatures start warming up I keep looking for ways to cool down without making any sacrifices. The first switch I typically make during the summer months is swapping out my hot coffee for an iced version. Having two small children doesn’t give me the option to give up my coffee during the summer just because it’s too hot to drink. As a mom you learn to make tweaks as necessary to get by. The ever so popular cold brew from Dunkin’ Donuts® is my absolute favorite! It provides a consistent cup of coffee I can trust every time! But as we all know it’s not always possible to get out of the house as quickly as we need that morning, noon or evening pick-me up! I decided to give it a go at home using DD whole bean bag coffee.
Not too long ago I shared a glimpse into my typical work week. As hectic as it seemed, weekends are more exhausting! My kids are SO demanding of me and hardly ever let me out of their sight. If I walk out of the room, I’ll hear my son yell “mama!” I’ll holler back at him, “Yea Bud! Be right back!!” and hope that he gives me a few minutes of peace before he decides to come find me.
Typically we’ll spend one day out of the weekend on-the-go running errands, grocery shopping at Publix (hello FREE cookies!), hanging at the park, or heading to the local beach, theme park, or children’s museum. Always in my hand or cup holder is a tumbler of coffee! How else would I manage to keep up with my energetic toddlers?!
If you have children you probably understand that it takes hours to get out of the house and it’s even worse when you have a set time to be somewhere. That’s usually when my kids seem to move their slowest. (insert eye roll) I once asked my daughter to go put shoes on and when a good amount of time had passed I found her in her room changing her underwear. I can’t even imagine the thought process there…. My point being that having a prepared batch of rich and smooth cold brew in the fridge actually SAVES me a few extra minutes in the morning that I need to wrangle the kids out the door.
This version of cold brew requires little effort or fancy kitchen gadgets. You’ll be surprised as to what I use as a filter. 😉
AT-HOME DUNKIN’ DONUTS COLD BREW COFFEE
- Your choice of Dunkin’ Donuts coffee
- Large mason jar
- Purified water
- Nylon pantyhose
1. If you’re using whole bean coffee you’ll want to coarsely ground in a coffee grinder. (You can also use a food processor (pulse) or blender.)
2. Cut a piece of your nylons and place 1 and 1/3 cups of coffee grinds inside. Making it long and narrow, tie a knot at the top of the grinds.
3. Fill a mason jar with 4 cups of purified water.
4. Insert the stocking filled with coffee grinds in your water and cover tightly with the lid.
5. Leave the mason jar at room temperature for 18-24 hours.
6. Once your maximum time has been reached you can remove the stocking and store the cold brew in the refrigerator or for a stronger brew leave the stocking of grinds in your jar for an additional amount of time in the fridge.
Because cold brew is so concentrated you can add a little water to it or use a coffee creamer. I chose to add vanilla flavored coconut milk to mine! I use unsweetened canned coconut milk and add vanilla extract before storing in a glass jar in the refrigerator. Cold brew can also be used to create a delicious frozen frappe treat with a little chocolate sauce!
You can find Dunkin’ Donut coffee in the coffee aisle at Publix.
Be sure to check for savings at Publix before you go! Now through July 19th you can save $1 off 1 Dunkin’ Donuts coffee product!!